Austin HIMSS Chapter
Austin HIMMS Chapter Newsletter –October 2018
Message from the PresidentModerate
Greetings Chapter Membership!
On behalf of the board, we hope this finds you safe, warm and dry! You will notice that advocacy is a prominent part of communications, activities, and volunteer opportunities for the Austin Chapter. This is the first year in several sessions that the Austin chapter will be organizing the bi-annual Texas Health IT Day activities at the state capitol. We are collaborating with all 5 Texas HIMSS Chapters to make this one of the most impactful advocacy experiences for you. Together we received one of five financial awards from HIMSS Global for our planned efforts around National Health IT Week (October 8-12) and our own Texas Health IT Day (January 17, 2019.) These funds along with a generous sponsorship will support a networking social and advocacy education event the evening before on Wednesday, January 16th at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel. Registration and a call for volunteer sign up links will be available soon!
Many of you braved the first rainy cold front of the season for our last Lunch & Learn with Nora Belcher the Executive Director of the Texas e-Health Alliance. Nora shared valuable insights regarding legislation that impacts Texans. Thank you for your support and attendance, both in person and online! We appreciate your patience as we work to improve the web conference experience.
Your Austin HIMSS board is excited about the next few months! We have been busy making sure we bring you value and opportunities, see the list below for upcoming activities and make plans to join us.
Finally, for those of you that travel our great state during the week, be sure to check in with our sister chapters for any events that they might have. They are always welcoming!
President, Austin HIMSS
Please don’t forget your permit! We will be posting these on our site for each event.
2018-2019 is our year to stretch and grow. We have so many opportunities to fit almost any level of volunteer skill/commitment. If you want to get plugged in and be a part of our growth, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Texas Health IT Day Activities * January 16-17, 2019
- This is the season to prepare for the 86th Texas Legislative Session! We need help with marketing, print materials, social planning, capitol activities, calls, scheduling, and more!
- Social Committee
- Help us make SXSW a destination for other HIMSS chapters
Save these dates!
- October 24th - Networking Social @ Red’s Porch Quarry (North Location)
- RSVP here.
- November 13th
- Web Conference with Nora Belcher – How to Advocate Like Texan Web Conference @ 8:00 am
- Monthly Lunch & Learn 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- December 11th Lunch & Learn: Health IT Leaders Panel
- Look for venue details soon!
- December 13th Holiday Social at one of our sponsors AthenaHealth
- January 2019: Advocacy
- January 16th evening: Networking Social open to ALL with advocacy training.
- January 17th Texas Health IT Day –Advocacy activity at the state capitol with an advocacy panel discussion
- February 11-15: HIMSS Global Conference
- March 8-14: SXSW Interactive We will have a joint event with the Great Britain Consulate during the interactive session!
- March 25th & 26th Texas HIMSS Regional Conference-here in Austin
Social Media – stay connected and spread the word!
LinkedIn – need links to these
Welcome to AUSTIN HIMSS
|Sponsorship Chair||Ray Wolf|
|Programs Chair||Sara Mitran|
|Advocacy Chair||Sarah Churchill Llamas|
|Membership Chair||Kathryn Smathers|
|Communications Chair||Shannon Frieirmuth|
|Social Chair||Rob Nussbaum|
|Social Media Liaison||Francisco Ochoa|
We welcome the participation of members and visitors at our monthly educational sessions the second Tuesday of each month and quarterly free social events. The Austin HIMSS Chapter is a professional organization for healthcare and IT professionals providing leadership, professional development, education, and networking opportunities.
The Austin HIMSS membership consists of IT professionals, consultants, vendors, physicians, nurses, professors, and students actively working in or interested in management systems, clinical systems, information systems, and telecommunications in healthcare.